IrishGaming.Com

A Resource for Irish Gamers
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: QCon & Qnightmare
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:44 pm 

I will begin this review with a simple statement:

Anyone who missed playing Qnightmare missed one of the single best con events to have taken place at a con in Ireland.

While the idea is not original (Knightmare was first broadcast in 1987) it is the first time anyone has tried something of this scale at a con here and I must applaud Qcon for their innovation and, well, sheer balls at having a go.

I mean, I got to play! I don't care if I got to see behind the curtain a little or if the Helm of Justice could use a little touching up. I don't care if the actors were reading from scripts. I saw Sorcha on the screen in front of me walking through a variety of rooms, directed by Chris, Oisin and I, solving the puzzles, eating the food and spelling out spells. It just rocked. Unfortunately we didn't complete the entire dungeon, but that didn't take away from it. The tension was there, the urgency to get our Dungeoneer through the room before she was cursed or caught, the worry that one of our directions might not be right and the animosity towards Lord Fear and his minions, it was all just perfect.

Yes, ok, if you've never watched Knightmare then you may simply not care but if you have and you never got to play the real game yourself then this is absolutely the next best thing.

An awful lot of effort was put into this. It requires technology, passion, coding skills and quite a bit of physical space, but it has raised the bar for really special special events at cons and I do hope it will not be too long until we see its like again.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:42 pm 

Annoyed I missed that one alright. Its a great idea and no inconsiderable amount of work, I think at some point most of us gamers have considered trying to run knightmare ourselves, to have actually stood up to the plate and done so is eminently deserving of kudos.

anyone got any pics. I'm curious to see how it was done..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:43 am 

Indeed. It was truely, truely awesome.

Academy of Eblana: Mara, Fae bard from Thornhill

saoili.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: QCon & Qnightmare
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:24 pm 

Brian wrote:
Anyone who missed playing Qnightmare missed one of the single best con events to have taken place at a con in Ireland.

I geeked out altogether when I heard about this, before violently cursing my lack of money.

Damn but I wanted to go to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:08 am 

I was in the first group to test it. You can see my report on it on the forums at Knightmare.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:17 pm 

I had never seen the programme but joined up after hearing about it from several friends who had watched the show. Good fun I must say and really impressive setup!

Hope its going to be a fixed event like they were talking about :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:37 pm 

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it so much, a lot of hard work went into its creation. I've uploaded a couple of clips recorded on the day for anyone who wants to take a look:

Paul testing the corridor of blades:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCe01tJL59A

"Benneth Brannagh" hamming it up in the intro sequence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6Kd-e7cuY

Pictures of the setup and running of Q-Con and Qnightmare can be found here on the QUB Dragonslayers gallery.
http://www.dragonslayers.org.uk/gallery/v/Q-con/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:18 pm 

Whoot! A fair amount of those dungeoneers are me. Number 25 is me with my advisors.